CCW Training Courses
The Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office CCW courses are being scheduled. Interested citizens will need to register ASAP if they are hoping to attend an upcoming course. The CCW training dates and times are listed below:
Class #1 (One day class) – CLASS IS FULL
January 9, 2016 8am – 5pm
Class #2 (One day class)
January 16, 2016 8am – 5pm (Waiting List)
Class #3 (One day class)
February 6, 2016 8am – 5pm (Waiting List)
Class #4 (One day class)
March 12, 2016 8am – 5pm FEMALE ONLY CLASS (Waiting List)
Class #5 (One day class)
March 19, 2016 8am – 5pm
Anyone interested in participating in applying for a CCW course will need to call Captain Earl Price at 513-825-1500 or email Captain Price at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CCW License Application
In order to apply for the license you must 21 years of age, a legal resident of the United States, and a resident of Hamilton County or an adjoining county. Adjoining counties to Hamilton are Butler, Clermont, and Warren.
A resident of another state may obtain a CCW license in Ohio using the application process, however applicant must provide adequate proof of employment in Ohio (within our county or an adjoining county). Proof of employment can be a: pay stub with address of Employer; a letter (on letterhead, dated and signed) from employer stating the applicant is employed at the business; or an employee ID card from a local business.
YOU MUST HAVE AN APPOINTMENT TO SUBMIT A CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE APPLICATION.
NO APPLICATION WILL BE ACCEPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE MADE AN APPOINTMENT.
APPOINTMENTS MAY BE MADE BY CALLING (513) 946-6213 or by or by using the online application (click here).
Not all people are eligible to obtain a Concealed Carry License, most commonly because of a prior criminal record. If you have ever been convicted of a disqualifying crime (Juvenile or Adult), you will want to take care of those charges first. If you fail to take care of these charges and you proceed with the application appointment the license fee is non-refundable. You should read the Attorney General’s informational booklet, “Ohio Concealed Carry License”, for details on what type of convictions make you ineligible to receive a Concealed Carry License. This booklet is available on the Ohio Attorney General’s website or at the Sheriff’s Office. If you are still unsure, you may want to consult with an attorney. THIS OFFICE CANNOT PROVIDE LEGAL ADVICE OR INDIVIDUAL CASE ASSESSMENTS.
1. TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT CLICK HERE. There are two locations you can schedule your appointment: Downtown at the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office inside the Justice Center (1000 Sycamore Street, Room 100, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202), and Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office at Patrol Headquarters (11021 Hamilton Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio 45231). Appointments are scheduled between 7:30 a.m. and 2:45 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding Holidays). Each applicant must personally appear at his/her appointment.
2. TO OBTAIN A CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE APPLICATION you may download an application on the Attorney General’s website. You may also visit one of our two locations Monday thru Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
3. BEFORE APPEARING FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT. You must fully complete your application.
DO NOT SIGN THE APPLICATION UNTIL TOLD TO DO SO.
a. Clearly PRINT, in blue or black ink, all required information on the Application. Again, DO NOT SIGN THE APPLICATION UNTIL TOLD TO DO SO. Failure to include all requested information will result in the Sheriff’s Office to refuse to accept the application.
b. List one or more phone number on your application where you can be reached. The Sheriff’s Office will use the number(s) to contact you when your Concealed Carry License is ready to be picked up.
APPOINTMENT PROCEDURE AND NECESSARY ITEMS:
- Firearms Training Certificate (a legible copy) – First time applicants only
- The Certificate should be dated, showing you completed this course within the past three years, and contain your name, and the name and phone number of the instructor and/or location where you received the training.
- If you have retired as a peace officer, state trooper, federal law enforcement officer, or have been honorably discharged from the military, or are an active or reserve member of the military, within the past TEN YEARS, this Firearms Training Certificate is not required. However you must provide written verification of your former/current employment/military service AND documentation reflecting you received firearms training equivalent to Ohio’s conceal carry training requirements.
- State-issued Photo ID ( driver’s license, or state id cards)
- Color Photograph (A frontal view) of your face (2”x2” passport photo max size).
The photo must have been taken within the past THIRTY DAYS. This photo will be kept with your application and will NOT be returned to you.
- License fee (non-refundable) in the amount and form described here:
- If you are an active duty and/or retired peace officer, retired state trooper, a retired natural resources officer, retired military, or retired Federal Law Enforcement officer, there is no application fee. You must bring in a letter or other documentation verifying employment or retirement.
- Other applicants who have been residents of Ohio for FIVE YEARS OR MORE must pay a NON-Refundable $67.00 fee with the application in the form of cash, or cashier’s/certified check made payable to HCSO CCW LICENSE FUND. NO UNCERTIFIED PERSONAL OR BUSINESS CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- If you have been an Ohio resident LESS THAN FIVE YEARS, or are not an Ohio resident, but employed in the State of Ohio; the NON-REFUNDABLE application fee is $91.00, in the form of cash, or cashier’s/certified check made payable to HCSO CCW LICENSE FUND. NO UNCERTIFIED PERSONAL OR BUSINESS CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- For a Temporary Emergency License the fee is $37.00, if you have been a resident of Ohio for FIVE YEARS OR MORE, and if a resident LESS THAN FIVE YEARS the fee is $61.00.
After your appointment has been confirmed, you must appear in person bringing the items listed above.
- AT YOUR APPOINTMENT, your application will be reviewed, a picture will be taken for the license, and you will be fingerprinted. Also you will be asked to fill out a release form, so we can run a local background check. The fingerprints are sent up to the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation, and can take up to three to four weeks for BCII to send the results to us. DO NOT CALL OUR OFFICE to check on the status of your application unless you fail to hear from us three weeks after your application appointment. Once the application process is completed and we receive your fingerprint results, you will be contacted by our office to pick up your Concealed Carry License or you will receive a rejection letter from the Sheriff’s Office.
- If your application is rejected, you will be notified of the reason, and advised of the appeals procedure.
RENEWAL APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Ohio Concealed Carry License are valid for five years from the date of issue. The expiration date of your License is on your license. If you are applying for a renewal license, there is a thirty day grace carrying period after your expiration date on your present license.
If you currently possess an Ohio Concealed Carry License which is due to expire (the expiration date is on your license), you may apply for a renewal 90 days prior to, or at any time after your expiration date. While you may apply for a renewal license after your license has expired, however you may not carry your Concealed Carry License after the 30 day grace period.
The Concealed Carry License renewal procedure is more streamlined than the original application process.
The appointment can be made at our downtown office, 1000 Sycamore Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202, Room 100 inside the HCJC, or at Patrol Headquarters, 11021 Hamilton Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45231.
- Complete, but do not sign your application form. You only have to list the addresses in which you have resided since your last applied appointment. Also, you do not need a 2×2 facial photo for a renewal application.
- NON-REFUNDABLE payment of $50.00 in the form of cash, and cashier/certified check payable to the HCSO LICENSE FUND, unless waived due to retired or active duty law enforcement or retired military status as described above.
- A local, and fingerprint background check will be done again. It could take roughly 3 weeks to complete. You will be notified when to pick up your new license, which at that time we will take the old license and give you the new license. If your application is denied, you will be advised by letter of the reason, and the appeal process.
CHANGE OF ADDRESS
Ohio law requires you to notify the county Sheriff’s Office at which you obtained you concealed carry license within 45 days after a change of address. You may download and fill out the Concealed Carry License Address Change form. Then mail it to the following address:
Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office
Attn: Concealed Carry License
1000 Sycamore Street; Room 100
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
This process, required by law, modifies the record held by our agency in the event you need to be contacted regarding suspension, revocation, or administrative purpose.
If you wish to obtain a replacement concealed handgun license displaying your new address change you must call (513) 946-6213 for an appointment and apply in person. You can make an appointment at our downtown office, 1000 Sycamore Street Room 100, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202, or at our Patrol Headquarter Office, 11021 Hamilton Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45231. The cost for a replacement license is $5.00.
LOST OR STOLEN CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE
You must file a police report with your local police department, then obtain a copy of the report. Once you have a copy of the report you may call (513) 946-6213 to make an appointment. The appointment can be made at our downtown office 1000 Sycamore Street Room 100, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202, inside the HCJC, or 11021 Hamilton Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45231 at Patrol Headquarters. The cost for a lost or stolen license $15.00. All you need for the appointment is the copy of the report and $15.00.